For all of You who want to "Divorce Diabetes" and Keep your Marriage and Man Thriving

I Salute you~


This is my favorite picture of us in 2011. It was not even our wedding but it was a magical night for both of us (in my female mind). Now, in full disclosure, my husband has not been diagnosed with diabetes... YET. But the diagnosis is inevitable, especially supported by our culture and everything that is so convenient. But diabetes is NOT CONVENIENT. And this is just me, as a wife, making a life transition going on 8 weeks and counting.

[REWIND]
Two months ago, my husband (probably like your spouse), did the glucose fasting test. His results came back borderline. His fasting glucose was surprisingly high but his outlook on life only declined. We are pushing forty, so we know what we like--- tortilla chips, pizza, some "spirits," anything ending in "sauce," pasta anything, loaded spiral cut fries, hand-breaded chicken fingers and the like. We built our relationship on perfecting our cooking for our gastronomic desires.

Keep in mind, this was the ONE APPOINTMENT I wanted to be there to witness what the NP ordered. Due to having 4 kids and fear of a hangry bunch, I went home to cook dinner when the news was dumped on my husband. If I was honest with myself, I saw it coming. He was getting a lot in the midsection, drinking more than I think is healthy, more sedentary, not sleeping enough and stress from so many hours of overtime AND double-time.


[CURRENT]
It feels like the gavel has come down on our marriage. The judgment leading to lifestyle repentance and valuing health or a downward spiral of chronic disease. I had to weigh whether or not I would join him in eating the same low carb diet even tho my prognosis is worry-free. I had to see him get jealous of me eating things he couldn't.

But his feelings are his responsibility. And recently, I feel like I have to get militant about kicking diabetes out of my marriage and my household! I have to enable him to make better life choices and succeed in one area of life that he needs to. especially if he wants a healthy retirement. We have to steward what we have of our health, grow the parts of our health that we can and be an example to our children.

What Can You Expect At "Divorce Diabetes"?
I will add posts of my experiences as a wife and health partner to my husband in this time of health purgatory. Hopefully, those posts will encourage you to stay strong in the fight against the disease. I will share ideas I come up with to make our marriage healthier and manage low carb eating in a way that feels like a treat. I will share videos of other doctors who have ideas on how to reverse diabetes and how we attempt to implement those protocols in our life. And just so you know-- my husband is NOT ON BOARD with healthcare outside of the pharmacy box. So it will be an adventure and battle worth fighting. I feel like this is Life or Death for the LOVE of my life.

[AFFIRMATION TO MYSELF]
I'm putting my foot down. Diabetes WILL NOT RUIN my vision for a kick-a$$ life in retirement.

DISCLAIMER:
*** I AM NOT A DOCTOR or medical professional*** BUT I do believe in health autonomy. I don't like to outsource my health. If I can accomplish something a doctor can do without going to a pharmacy, to my liability, I do it for myself and my family to a large extent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life's Not Fun Anymore

How does a Mexican man give up tortillas?